Thursday 28 July 2011

Until I reach 10,000

There's a theory that to be an expert, whether it's at playing the violin or painting portraits or anything else, you have to put in 10,000 hours of deliberate practice.


I'm not an expert at anything. This is proven time and time again when the unpredictability fairy sprinkles her dust over me when I'm making stuff.





That's not some weird exotic fruit that I've bred in the greenhouse. It's a cake that's gone rather wrong. Too much flour (eyeballed it badly), over beaten, chewy and weird.


It's just something I have to accept. When I don't do things by the book, whether it's following a recipe or firing a pot, there are always going to be moments when things don't happen the way I expected them to. It's just the way things go.


Expectations don't always pan out. Some people let that derail them. I try to learn from it.


Today I learnt that making up shit as I go along when I'm tired is a bad idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment